Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Interview with authors- Khaled Hosseini and Jamie Lee Curtis

Khaled Hosseine was so great during his interview. I'm glad I read his first book "The Kite Runner" and saw the movie before I went to this section because both gave a great appreciation of his interview. The interviewer asked really good questions about the characters, the relationship of the author with his characters , author's political point of view about Afghanistan and the Taliban. I found it's so intriguing how much the author's own experiences were reflected in the story such as his relationship with his father and his country. I also appreciated his honest opinion about the war with the Taliban. He said, "I don't see an easy solution if there is one. When you promise the people that you'd give them basic neccessities such as clean water and shelter so that you can bomb their country and you fail to give them those, how will you offer them a solution?" This was definitely worth getting up early to!

Jamie Lee Curtis was very funny and charming. She won the heart of the audience easily. It was a real treat to be at her section at the end of the day. It was very light-hearted and fun. She read her latest book "Big Words for Small People". This is something that I would definitely recommend to kids. She was not joking when she said big words. She used words like cooperate and consequences etc... along with really funny and simply examples and beautiful and colorful illustrations. I can see kids having fun and giggling throughout the book as they learn new words.

No comments: