Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting Ready--Jessi


I feel like I have been getting ready for the ALA Conference in Anaheim for months. I registered back during the early bird to save $25 on the fee, then slowly booked several flights to and from Anaheim and Long Beach. Why, you may ask? Because my son and I will be taking a vacation just before the conference at Seal Beach, staying with a friend, which has made things slightly more complicated. Flights are a lot more expensive this year, sometimes doubling the price they were just a few months ago. The Boy (as my son is referred to in my blog) will come back to Washington on June 26 and I will move into a hotel in Anaheim on the 27th.

Lately, aside from my pre-travel fretting, I have been trying to lay out a schedule of the sessions I want to attend. I put them all in my Google Calendar (thanks to the Google Gods) and as you can see (from the blurry image), I have a lot on there.



I know that the schedule will likely change, but it always makes me feel better to know I have a preliminary plan. Most everything is YA related, but I hope to add/substitute a few other areas of interest to gain a more rounded experience.

3 comments:

Mary Power said...

Cool Google calendar Jessi! I hope you cam make it to everything you want to see... I've never been to an ALA in Anaheim, but in some of the cities I have been to, getting around to all the hotels for the sessions you want to see is a huge challenge...on the enormous Greyhound-type buses... on the flip side I always seemed to run into colleagues from past jobs and grad school on those buses!!

srcsmgrl said...

From what I have seen of the map, it looks like everything is in walking distance. Hopefully there will be time to make it between two sessions.

(Oddly enough) I have been to a few dental conferences as well as a WALE conference so I have some experience traipsing between sessions.

Anonymous said...

According to my hazy recollections of the Anaheim area walking distance is not the issue. The issue is that there is no where to walk! No sidewalks, tons of cars. Walking was a real challenge.